The Short Story: I am Gena McCarthy RN, MFT #32708, a perinatal psychotherapist, a certified EMDR (PTSD treatment) provider and the developer of multiple community and county maternity emotional wellness care networks and integrative health programs. I have been a consultant and educator for maternity care clinic staff in psychological/spiritual self care and growth for many years. I am trained in cross-cultural Shamanic and Buddhist ways of healing, perinatal psychology and trauma healing. I support Perinatal Professionals and Parents to be trauma and wonder informed, prepared and sustained.
The Heartfelt Story: I have been an educator, nurse, perinatal psychotherapist, community organizer and integrative health programs and networks developer for around 40 years. I have had the honor and privilege of studying with many beloved spiritual and psychological teachers.
I am continuously grateful and amazed at how much transformation can happen for myself and my clients and students in one lifetime. I felt called a long time ago to offer spiritual and psychological preparation to the birth community, parents, friends and families, and perinatal professionals so that the inherent wonder and joy available in birth can be honored, celebrated and supported.
Some of my experiences that inform my work include: * Loss: a high risk pregnancy and still birth at 20 weeks
* The home-birth of my son
* A 40 year partnership with my beloved husband
* An MA in Transpersonal Psychology from JFK
* A maternal child public health nurse
* A student of a 2 year Cross Cultural Shamanic Training with Angeles Arrien, Phd
* An Intern of Gayle Peterson PhD in Body Hypnosis for the perinatal client
* Perinatal Psychology training with Wendy McCarty PhD, Leah La Goy MFT, Sally Clark MFT, Anne Maiden Brown PhD
* A Perinatal Pscychotherapist, EMDR certified
* A Staff Educator with Marshall Rosenberg and Gil Lopez in non violent communication and mediations
* Developer of the Contra Costa County Perinatal Depression to Wellness Network which resulted in 20, 000 women a month receiving prenatal emotional support
* Developer of the Perinatal Integrative Health Program at Contra Costa County with education and support groups for three major clinics
* A Staff Educator and Consultant in stress reduction, trauma informed care, trauma treatment for the Healthy Start Staff in Richmond and Pittsburg clinics
* Developer of the High Risk Pregnancy Stress Reduction group for Kaiser San Francisco
* Student and practioneer of Tibetan Buddhism for 20 years
* Student and practiooneer of the Cherokee Peacekeepers for 5 years * Student of zen and vipassana Buddhism for the last 30 years